How to apply for on-dossier certification
You will find below complete details on the eligibility criteria, what should be included in your application package, and pricing.
(for conference interpretation)
Until further notice, we are not accepting new on-dossier applications by postal mail.
Emailed applications (translation only) should have the attached files numbered with the prefix 01, 02, 03 etcetera for them to be sorted correctly (if the candidate is unable to combine their files into a single document). ATIO Staff is not responsible for the correct order of dossier submissions; it is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure there is no confusion.
On-dossier is an ongoing process that is available for Candidates for Certification with ATIO and costs $747+tax.
To submit a request for certification by dossier, you must first obtain the status of a Candidate for Certification in the relevant category. Click here for more details on our application process and to learn more about the admission criteria.
As a Candidate for Certification in conference interpretation, you must first meet ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA to be eligible to apply for certification on-dossier:
- ATIO considers ‘full time’ to be represented by either 30-hours or more per week.
- Your experience must be attested to by one or more letters of experience from employers and/or clients.
- Such a letter must be a signed original and must clearly establish that you have been practicing your profession, in the same language pair for which you are applying, for the requisite number of years in an autonomous manner, without the need for supervision.
When assembling your application for certification on-dossier, each section MUST be clearly identified, and your submission must include the following:
- Your completed ATIO certification by on-dossier application form.
- A cover letter that explains why you should be considered for on dossier certification.
- Your resume should include courses of study, experience, positions held, publications, awards, etc. Make sure to enclose proof of the education and/or experience required as part of the ‘eligibility criteria’. Copies are accepted
- Reference letters from three (3) of your clients or employers which confirm that you have the experience required in the eligibility criteria. These individuals must be different from your sponsors. Les copies sont acceptées.
- Sponsor letters from five (5) certified translators who have accepted to support your application, if possible.
- Each sponsor must be a certified conference interpreter in the same language pair for which you seek to become certified.
- Each sponsor must be a member of ATIO or be a certified member of another provincial association under CTTIC or with OTTIAQ.
- Information in each sponsor letter must include the number of years they have known you and details about their knowledge of your professional activities.
- If you could not find five (5) people to sponsor your application, you must explain the steps you took to search for sponsors and the reason(s) why you could not secure the required number of sponsors.
- Optionally, if you have successfully passed a professional proficiency evaluation (usually administered by an employer), you may submit proof thereof along with your on-dossier submission package, with information as to the nature of the assessment, its role in the overall process, the level of achievement, etc. Examples include the Translation Bureau exam and AIIC membership.
- Make use of the on-dossier application checklist to ensure a complete application package and enclose it with your submission package.